Tonight I’m going to post someone else’s words. Words that have more meaning for me as the years go by. Words I come to understand more with each horror story on the news. Words I come to understand more with each terrible call for service I take at work. Words I come to understand more as I see evil deeds all around me, and, at the same time, as I see goodness all around me, as well. “I saw a man, he was holding the handThat had fired a gun at his heart
Oh, will we live
To forgive?
I saw the eyes, and the look of surprise
As he left an indelible mark
Oh, will we live
To forgive?
Come…Find release
Go…Make your peace
Follow his lead, let the madness recede
When we shatter the cycle of pain
Oh, we will live
To forgive
Come…Find release
Go…Make your peace
I saw a man, with a hole in his hand
Who could offer the miracle cure
Oh, he said live, I forgive
Oh, he said live, I forgive
Oh, he said live…to forgive”
The song is titled “To Forgive,” and was written and sung back in 1985 by a Christian musician named Steve Taylor. The musical accompaniment was a lot of loud electric guitar work, but the words were loud-and-clear. In his own words (from a compilation of his music published in 1994) Steve said about this song, “Inspired by the simple, elegant photo seen by the world of Pope John Paul II standing in a prison cell, forgiving the man who tried to assassinate him.”
There are a lot of songs I like, and many that have helped shape me. This is one of them. I hope I can live in a similar way.
2 comments:
There are a lot of songs I like, and many that have helped shape me. "88 Lines About 44 Women" is one of them. I hope I can live in a similar way.
Nice. I'm trying to be serious, and "Forcecage" gets on and says he wants to follow in the footsteps of a song that declares the virutes of girls who like "to fuck while wearing leather biker boots."
Not that there's anything WRONG with that... ;)
Post a Comment