December 25, 2007

Obituary


    Lucille Antoinette (Age 84)

    Lifetime resident of Spokane, Washington, passed away December, 2007. She was born February 20, 1923 to Frank and Alma. She graduated from John Rogers High School. She is survived by her husband of 62 years, daughters and sister. Also surviving are five grandchildren, five great-grandchildren, nephews and nieces, and many other family and friends. Preceded in death by her brother and brother-in-law. Graveside services will be held at...

    It seems like such a limited statement; an obituary. How can a blurb in the newspaper, or a five minute speech at a graveside service say enough about someone? I think some people have done so little in life that they deserve little recognition in death, but not this lady. She was my Grandma.

    She did more than anyone I can think of to help support my mother, sister and I after my dad left us when I was seven. Financially and emotionally she did all she could to help us get back on our feet. Lessons I learned from my Grandma include: frugality with generosity, honesty, the value of patience with people with whom you may not necessarily agree, duty to country, helpfulness and courtesy.

    We watched Grandma get diagnosed with cancer about two years ago. Back then they gave her 18-24 months to live, and she used every last month. It wasn't until two months ago the doctors said they couldn't help anymore and Grandma and the family enlisted the help of Hospice. (I highly recommend Hospice, by-the-way, for any family suffering through end-of-life issues. They were wonderful.) Then, and only then, did Grandma accept the end as being near. She said her goodbyes, and I got to say mine to her on her last day of lucidity. I was lucky. Strike that: it was providence. On her last good day she and I talked for two hours. I got to tell her what was on my heart. I got to tell her 'thank you' for helping us all through our years, and being a good example to all of us on how to love people even when you didn't understand where they were coming from.

    Today was my first Christmas without Grandma, but it didn't hurt. I have every faith and confidence that Grandma is in heaven, with no pain and no suffering, where God wipes the tears from everyone's eyes and rewards faith with everlasting joy. It was hard to watch Grandma suffer, but it was easy to let her go. It was her time, and she lived a very full, wonderful life. I hope I am so lucky as all that.

    For all of my friends and family out in bloggerland, learn this: make sure those you love know you love them, everyday. Life is so much shorter than you ever think it will be.

    I miss you, Grandma, but I'll see you again someday.

    Love, David.

1 comment:

Agent Sierra said...

She sounds like a wonderful lady, who certainly has found a place in Heaven. You write about her beautifully.