March 26, 2006

I have become...

(My oldest son actually asked me why I haven't posted in a while. Talk about motivation! I have always insisted that I write for my kids so they can know their dad better, and remember me when I'm gone. I think I need to get back on the stick and write.)

My best friend Seth introduced me a few years ago to the wonder of going to movies by myself. I initially balked at the idea.
"Dude, that's weird. Movies are for dates, and for taking your kids, and for being sorta' social." He told me that I should try it before I completely threw out the idea. Well, okay. So I started with "Mystic River." The movie was okay (not really my thing) but I learned that Seth was right. No kids. No spouse. No worrying about anyone else but me! Wow! This is pretty slick. I can enjoy my movie all by myself without worrying about my whole fam-damily asking questions, needing to go potty, wanting a ton of popcorn and other junk food. This was good. So occasionally I treat myself.

My latest adventure was going to see "Aeon Flux." I am a big science-fiction fan, so this stuff was right up my alley. I was sitting in the perfect seat because I got to the theater early. I grabbed a small popcorn and soda and waited not-so-patiently through the pre-show crap with which they now bombard you before your feature. While I was sitting and munching happily on the M.I. in a bag, the theater filled up. What I noticed kinda' disturbed me...

The theater was filling up with a lot of young couples. Kids, like, in their early to late teens. This was a Friday night, so I suppose I should have expected this. Still, it got strange for me as the entire room filled with kids that age. Young couples and groups of guys and gals. They were all laughing and having a good time, and were there to be social. I was there, by myself, trying to be somewhat anti-social and selfishly enjoy my sci-fi flick.

Then it dawned on me... I have become... I have become...

THE CREEPY OLD GUY IN THE BACK OF THE THEATER! OH, GOD! OH, GOD! I'M A PERVERT! I'M THE GUY THAT ALWAYS GAVE ME AND MY FRIENDS THE CREEPS WHEN WE WENT TO THE MOVIES!

I haven't gone by myself to a movie since. It might be a while. :)



3 comments:

Illuminati Rob said...

Interesting Dave. I didn't expect that turn in the story. Makes sense now that I read about it. lol I will have to make sure and learn from your experience and never go alone! hahaha

Thumpernicus Maximus Rex said...

Hmmm...so I guess police officers can be the creepy pervert too. Just glad I have nothing to do with being a creepy pervert.

So, was the movie any good? I didn't get to see it after being banned from all the theaters for lewd behavior.

Agent Sierra said...

I'm thinking you're missing the #1 reason to go to a movie by yourself: you don't have to beg, borrow, plead, negotiate for anyone else's preferences. You can see exactly what you want...your FIRST choice, you can sit where you want in the theatre, and buy exactly what you want at the concession.

Heck...I hardly ever go to the movies with anyone anymore.

But then again, I don't have to worry about being the creepy guy at the back of the theatre. Just don't wear a trenchcoat....