
Gad-zooks. It's been three months since I last posted. This is definitely a reflection on how busy I've been at work. Because my blog is for my kids and friends to look at to remember me should something really rotten happen while I'm at work one day, I think I'll limit this post to what's been going on and keeping me away.
In the first week of August I finished Collision Reconstruction School. It was the last of the four schools offered by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission. It is, if I may say, a big accomplishment. Though all eight of the students in my class passed with flying colors, I learned later from my instructor (Dave Thornburg) that overall there is a 50% washout rate in this course.
I am now an "expert" in the field, and can testify in court as one, etc., etc. The field is fascinating to me. It has taught me a lot about criminal investigation overall, and has made me like mathematics again after dropping out of pre-calculus in high school. It has also made me one busy S.O.B. Since I graduated the department asked me to teach the Basic Collision School (step 1) to a class of my co-workers. That was three weeks of preparation and one week of class. After that, our local school district liason contacted me and I am currently (almost done) teaching high school students a chunk of the aforementioned Basic School.
My wife has noted that I am much in demand these days. True, and most of the time I enjoy it. At this point, however, I am ready for a break. I am hoping nobody asks me to teach anything for a few months. Did I mention that my teaching duties are in addition to my patrol duties? Obidavekenobi is heading for some burnout.
Be that as it may, I have decided to take the sergeant's exam next year. Once every two years our department offers the exams for promotion. If you are high enough on the list and there are vacancies made via people leaving the department, you (generally) get promoted. After about twelve years of law enforcement, and four years as a police corporal, I have chosen to see if I can make the grade and promote again. My wife reminded me that when I became a police officer my stated goal was to end my career as a patrol sergeant. I guess it's time to try and pursue that goal. If I don't make it I still am working in the best position in the department.
So, why promote? Well, the pay raise and the retirement boost are a couple of good reasons. I also think I would really like the job. I have also had a significant amount of my peers tell me they would really like to see me promote (peers both above and below me in rank). I'll give it a shot. Soon it will be study time, and that, as well as teaching, is going to keep me busy.
I'll try to post the blog anyway!
1 comment:
It sounds like you've got my life.... Busy, busy, busy.... But promotions and being in demand are good things....just glad to have you back!
Post a Comment