November 03, 2006

Shrek had it right


About a month ago I read an article about a woman who killed herself over an issue of guilt. She had made some pretty terrible statements about her sister in an effort to get her sister a spot on a TV show called "Extreme Makeover." Her sister was chosen to be on the show and receive an "extreme makeover" to make her, what she thought was going to be, beautiful.

The story is very, very sad. Please read the article link. What I find even more sad are two things...

#1) The original article comes from the Court TV website. Why? Well, the family of the deceased sued ABC TV, "...seeking unspecified damages and alleging breach of contract, intentional infliction of emotional stress and wrongful death, among other complaints." ABC TV settled out-of-court for an unspecified amount of damages, as well they should have. When you read the article you'll see just how far ABC TV went to make their show, and then dumped the candidate.

#2) More importantly, the sadder thing is that this show existed at all. If it was all about helping people surgically repair birth defects that have inhibited them from "normal" lives, that's one thing. But "Extreme Makeover" did nothing more than perpetuate the fallacy that a person's appearance somehow has something to do with their worth. Thank God the show was cancelled after three seasons; it should never have even made it on the air.
Shows like "Extreme Makeover" are poison to our souls.

Ever seen the movie "Shrek?" You should. Both Shrek I and Shrek II are funny, enjoyable animation. More importantly, they both give a very important moral at the end of each show...

A person's worth has absolutely nothing to do with how he or she looks. Period.

2 comments:

Agent Sierra said...

I HATE that show. I couldn't believe that they'd buy a show that celebrated female insecurity. Shame on them.

Obi-Dave Kenobi said...

Hi Agent Sierra...nice to hear from you again, too. BTW, if you read this, would you please e-mail me your blog site? My "Favorites" folders crashed and I don't have it any more. My e-mail is obidavekenobi@gmail.com. I'd like to see how you are doing, as well. :)